Saturday, March 29, 2008

Rhea Mae Toronto

Photo: Linda Woods

About a year ago I started to write my website about the Bird of Prey I love with all my heart: the Peregrine Falcon. For the chapter about the development from eyas to juvenile I decided to use the Rochesters 2006. A year in which so much went wrong. Mariah got wounded to her foot. Dead eyases, one with a neurological disorder which died as well. But the three strongest ones did survive. They where lively and healthy. Kaver took very good care of his eyases and his wounded partner. The three girls got bigger and stronger and Mariah's foot got better by the day.
48 days I described and illustrated with many pictures of these extraordinary 3 eyases who turned in to beautiful juveniles. Rhea Mae turned out to be a born flyer when she fledged.
Aura, Sabrina and Rhea Mae. I became very attached to them.


Photo: Linda Woods

In the autumn of 2007 Mark Nash from the Canadian Peregrine Foundation reported that Rhea Mae has taken up residence on the Downtown Sheraton hotel in Toronto, Canada. It appeared that she had displaced the previous female, Wind, and she and the resident male Tiago had been observed exhibiting courtship behaviors such as bowing to each other and flying together.
I was thrilled! This little white darling has grown into an adult peregrine. And a very beautiful one she is! Rhea Mae and Tiago stayed together during the winter and started up courtship this spring. Yesterday she laid her first egg ever! And somehow I'm so proud of her. I wish her so well and all the luck in the world. Hope, know, she will be a great mother, like her own mother Mariah is. Who laid her first egg of 2008 on the 27th. How magnificent nature is!

No comments: